CONFERENCE SPEAKER SPONSORS
In Memory of Jerry Bills, 1936 - 2018
St. Petersburg Résumé Services
PGA Career Services
The Jay Block Companies, LLC
Career Marketing Techniques LLC
Dave Teumim, CISSP, CPCC
We thank the following members for their kind contributions to the Speaker Sponsorship Fund:
– Irene Marshall, Tools for Transition, Fremont, CA
– Charlie Blumenthal, CPRW, Résumés That Resonate, Oakland, CA
Plan now to join your fellow members from around the globe at this international gala event in beautiful, sunny Florida. The Hilton Clearwater Beach Resort and Spa is a modern, newly renovated facility on ten acres of beachfront on the #1 Beach in the Country (Trip Advisor)... overlooking the Gulf of Mexico. This is an exciting, high-energy venue for PARW/CC's 2019 conference!
Entrepreneurial business owners who are:
- Résumé Writers
- Career Coaches and Career Counselors
- Employment Interview Trainers
- Career Assessment Specialists
- Recruiters and Staffing Professionals
- Anyone Supporting Individuals Seeking New Job or Career Opportunities
Career management or business professionals in the following industries:
- University Career Services
- Military Transition Assistance
- Workforce Development, One-Stops
- Human Resources
- Vocational and Non-Profit
- Federal and Local Government
Be part of the career industry's Culture of Excellence by attending the 2019 Conference, where you'll learn:
- The most up-to-date standards and best practices in Résumé Writing
- Career Coaching strategies that will score breakthroughs with clients—especially those who feel stuck and frustrated
- Innovative approaches to Interview Coaching that you'll be excited to implement with clients
- Crucial Business Development Initiatives to help you meet—or even exceed—your income goals
- Actionable ways to take your organization to the next level
- Stress-reduction skills to empower and motivate yourself and your clients
- What hiring managers REALLY think when they read your clients' résumés—straight from a panel of recruiters and HR / hiring pros
“Standing Out from the Crowd” | Matthew McDonough, Senior Vice President, Human Resource Talent Acquisition, Raymond James:In today's ever changing business and corporate environment, success depends on not just what you know, but also the intangibles a job seeker brings to the job such as his/her ability to “think” and “solve problems.” The best way to showcase talent is to excel and “thrive” through change. Change can be perceived as a negative word or experience, and people may struggle to understand it, while others outright resist it. Potential employers are looking for candidates with the X factor—so how can you help your clients differentiate themselves from competing candidates and find success? Matt McDonough is an engaging speaker and SVP at Raymond James, one of the country's largest full-service wealth management and investment banking firms not headquartered in New York. Our keynote speaker has led the firm's Talent Acquisition function to source, evaluate, and hire more than 6,000 associate in the past 3 years. In “Standing Out from the Crowd,” Matt will
- discuss his thoughts on change and how, in this competitive job market, job seekers must evolve, improve, and constantly enhance their value to the marketplace.
- share his experience on getting noticed and the importance of challenging your clients and students to embrace and adapt to constant-and-never-ending change.
- explain how change is an opportunity to define and grow professionally, to better serve your clients and students.
“How to Move Mountains Using Power Branding” | Martin Buckland, Principal, Elite Résumés:Martin is a globally acclaimed Executive Career Coach and Executive Résumé Professional who believes a powerful and visible personal brand will make you successful! Personal branding is necessary in today's marketplace for career management and business development, so it is important to learn ways to make your personal brand attractive. In “How to Move Mountains Using Power Branding,” Martin will
- teach you to dominate the world with a brand called YOU and nurture clients using the benefits of career management built around their own personal power brand.
- put you through a personal branding exercise.
- provide insight and tips on how he's built a power brand to dominate the EMBA, C-Suite, and mining sectors globally.
“A Dose of Vitamin 'J'™ (How to Empower Clients to Overcome Fear, Doubt, and a Lack of Confidence)” | Jay Block, Founder, The Jay Block Companies:Our emotions determine quality of life—and quality of the job campaign. What good is a great résumé in the hands of a depressed job seeker? This power-packed presentation teaches you what world-class athletes do to consistently maintain peak performing states of mind, especially when they face setbacks and adversity. In pursuit of anything worthwhile, including a new job, job seekers will inevitably face resistance, including rejection, fear, negative people, and negative self-talk. But it's not what happens to job seekers or their situations that matters; rather, it is how masterfully job seekers react and respond to what happens. The foundation for all success, including rapid employment, is maintaining a positive and optimistic mindset and attitude at all times. For your clients to land great jobs quickly and confidently, they must be in total control of their emotions. And the same holds true for you. For you to grow and expand professionally so you can achieve the success and happiness you want and deserve, you must be in total control of your emotions. “A Dose of Vitamin 'J'™” will empower you with specific techniques, so you can inspire your clients to overcome fear and adversity—to achieve all they are capable of achieving. In this talk, Jay will teach you
- the REAL definition of life and how this affects the job search, and the single greatest factor that results in success or failure.
- the ten principles to successfully land a new job—and growing in your own profession.
- the three most powerful and effective Emotional Channeling Techniques™ and the single most important factor to coaching greatness: empowering clients to assume personal responsibility.
- RE-THINK the entire process of career management and the job search,
- land the jobs they want at the pay they deserve, and
- live extraordinary lives.
“Diane's Whole-Person Theory & Career Management” | Diane Hudson, CPCC Program Director & Coach Trainer:Job boards, ATS, networking, résumé development, dressing for success, negotiating salaries, onboarding, promotions. Oh, my! Such a maze. Behind the logistics is a whole person, a person with a family, work-life balance requirements, and more. There is a reason why a job seeker requests the support of a career coach. As Director of the Professional Association of Resume Writers & Career Coaches' Certified Professional Career Coach certification program (CPCC) (with 1,000+ students globally), Diane will tie the correlation of whole-person to career management and teach you about
- whole-person issues and how they affect the career coaching program.
- goal development and its direct application to designing a career management action plan.
- storytelling as the thread that lights the career management plan on fire and moves a whole-person job seeker to a top-of-the-pile-of-résumés viable candidate.
“Mastering the Fundamentals of Résumé Writing Excellence” | John Suarez, CPRW:Touted as America's most innovative and creative résumé professional, John's presentation will focus on three fundamentals every résumé writing professional needs to build a successful résumé writing practice. Serving on the PARW/CC Certified Professional Résumé Writer (CPRW) Certification Committee, John guides newly-minted résumé writers through ways to enhance their strategy and résumé writing skills. Participants will learn
- the power of capturing your client's marketability with readable and relevant content.
- the most common and overlooked formatting techniques to showcase your content.
- targeting strategies that help your résumés get noticed.
“Military to Civilian - Invaluable Strategies for Writing Military Résumés and Managing the Transition” | Troy Johnson, Transition Assistance Program Manager, Military & Family Readiness Center, MacDill Air Force Base:Writing résumés and coaching military in transition from military to corporate is no easy task. There are military acronyms, jargon, ranks, and Services to be considered. The process is challenging for military. Military members are attached to a Military Occupational Specialty / Service equivalent that defines their position description, but what they do on the job day to day can be very different from that position description. No conference focused on résumé writing and career coaching would be complete without a discussion of preparing military to make the big leap from military to civilian. In this session, Troy will
- provide insight into the military transitioning process.
- describe the challenges faced by active duty service members and their families as they transition from military to civilian and explain how the DoD prepares military for a successful transition back into civilian life that allows them to meet their career goals.
- identify common mistakes military make on their résumés.
“Always Exceed Organizational Expectations, Because You Never Know...” | Joel Quass, CPRW, CEIP; 23-Year Costco Manager:Joel will ask the hard questions: Why should we always exceed expectations? How can we always exceed expectations? What happens when we don't always exceed expectations? And, What happens when we do always exceed expectations? Non-profit, Fortune 500, individual business owners, career services, and One Stop employees all need the actionable tools Joel shares. Through stories, Joel will lead us through the process of understanding the need for exceptional customer service and the role it plays in a company's success. In this presentation, you will take away business knowledge as Joel
- tells you about the check cashing story. You may not know one of the top reasons your team is not exceeding expectations for your customers. This story began 28 years ago, and the fact that he still talks about it today clearly illustrates why we should each personally promote a culture of excellence.
- uses stories to lead you through the process of understanding the need for exceptional customer service and the role it plays in a company's success.
- promises to share his “you never know” story, too.
“Marketing, Expanding & Growing Business” | Jan Melnik, CPRW, Master Résumé Writer, Founder, Absolute Advantage:Jan has built an exceptionally profitable, client-centric private practice spanning 35 years. Many of her clients are now second generation (graduating kids of clients she first coached when they were new graduates). Throughout this content-rich program, she will share proven strategies designed to help you enhance the success of your marketing initiatives and further grow your business. For résumé-writing and career-coaching businesses to be profitable, you must constantly attract and close new clients with a steady stream of prospects. Jan will present easy-to-implement business development techniques that won't break the bank. In Jan's session, you will learn
- how to cultivate and harvest new clients, optimize the sales quoting/closing process, and build a robust referral pipeline.
- how to identify the best go-to-market strategies you can use to promote client engagement using approaches that fit your style.
- tactics for building career-long relationships, the lifeblood of the private career practitioner.
“Leverage LinkedIn's Shortfalls: Deliver Great Client Profiles & Expand Your Practice” | Don Orlando, CPRW, Owner, The McLean Group:Don is eminently qualified to help clients win better ROI (Return on Investment) using LinkedIn much better than most people even think possible. Don's the only senior career professional who doesn't have a website. His clients avoid websites. Rising, senior, and very senior executives seek him out when they see Don's compelling brand. Moreover, he knows how to get his brand in front of potential clients at just the right time. And he uses LinkedIn to do it all. In Don's presentation, you will
- learn the same skills and insights he uses every day to build a practice that has thrived for more than a quarter century, serving America's most demanding clients.
- learn how to get your brand in front of potential clients at just the right time.
- receive an exceptional ROI that, in a matter of weeks, could easily return your full cost of attending the 2019 PARW/CC Conference.
“Use Advanced Interview Techniques to Build Confidence and Win Job Offers” | Heidi Scott Giusto, PhD, CPRW, CEIP, Owner, Career Path Writing Solutions:Leading this important topical discussion on Interviewing, Heidi will impart simple—yet immensely effective—strategies that empower clients in very little time to not just survive but thrive in interviews. Heidi will
- highlight the power of self-knowledge in the interview process by discussing ways that personal assessment tests like CliftonStrengths can help clients create strengths-based messaging and communicate their value to potential employers in a compelling way.
- discuss the importance of leading clients through mock interviews and discuss the approaches she has found to be most effective.
- show how helping clients integrate STAR stories into their Organizational Message Chart can produce powerful, memorable narratives that help job seekers stand out among other applicants.
“Rev Up Your Clients' Career Campaign: Lessons Learned from Motorcycling Across America” | Garrison Leykam, PhD, CPCC, CPRW, CEIP:This session is not for the weak of heart or passengers who “ride pillion” on the back seat of a bike. It's for those professionals who want to help their clients throttle up and take control of their careers and guide them to meaningful work. For bikers, riding a motorcycle is the experiential asphalt answer to the questions, “Where did I come from? — Who am I? — Where am I going?” — the same questions your career-searching clients need to answer. Just as the motorcycle was invented to fulfill the need for a fast, economical form of transportation and has evolved in design, so, too, has the business world created changes in how you help candidates develop a career search campaign, write a résumé, prepare for interviews, and negotiate compensation. In the Easy Rider realm of individuality and self-reliance, coaches must transcend clichés and keywords and help clients arrive at a deeper career significance; it's about more than merely “getting the job.” Career coaching is the Route 66 of the American dream. So, ride with Dr. Garrison Leykam and guide your clients on maximizing their individuality and passion for the open career road. Attendees will actively participate in learning how to take their client work up a gear and
- navigate the open road with a new career campaign GPS.
- anticipate and avoid obstacles at every twist and turn.
- embrace professional individuality to be the ride leader and ideal candidate.
“Decrypting Gen Z/Millennials in the Gig Economy” | Natascha Saunders, CPCC, Founder, The Youth Career Coach, Inc.:The “Freelancing in America” report by Upwork estimates that 57.3 million people are now freelancers with 47% of millennials already freelancing. It has been said that the driving forces behind freelancing are freedom, flexibility, and funds. To “create a culture of excellence” within brick and mortar or virtual workplaces across this country, we must realize this trend has now gone mainstream, and it will only increase. It's been estimated that Gen Z/millennials have contributed an estimated $1.4 trillion to the U.S. economy through gig work. Natascha's session aims to deliver three takeaways, which can be applied immediately. She will help attendees
- gain greater insight on how this trend is impacting businesses and the economy.
- learn effective strategies for coaching and managing the Gen Z/millennial generations.
- view workplace business models from organizations successfully embracing the gig economy.
“How to Land a Better Job While Working Full Time” | Tom Powner, CPRW, CEIP, CCMC, RCSBA, CDCC:Conducting a job search—or as I prefer to call it, “a career campaign”—is a big task, whether our clients are unemployed or employed. In today's market, most of our clients are employed, which is the opposite of 2008 to 2014. Still, landing a new job while working full time presents challenges, mainly finding/dedicating the time and knowhow to launch and manage a strategic career campaign. This is a critical obstacle for our clients. We as résumé writers work hard at creating the résumé, cover letter, bio, and LinkedIn tools they need. But then we send them out into the job search jungle with limited guidance, which impacts their results, which affects our future sales and referrals. Our best advertising is clients who have been successful using our services. Join me in this session on how we can provide clients with the guidance and tools they need to conduct a successful career campaign—one that leads to more interviews and better choices. Tom will guide attendees in learning
- the tips, techniques, and tools clients can use to boost their search, save time and improve results.
- how to create a personalized, strategic career campaign to assist clients with staying organized and on-track while optimizing their time investment.
- how to increase income by offering job search coaching, mock interviewing and salary negotiation services.
“How to Design Eye-Catching Résumés: Formatting Tips & Tricks for the Modern Résumé” | Melanie Denny, CPRW; President of Résumé-Evolution:
Make sizzle and substance work together to build content-rich résumés that not only read exceptionally well, but 'pop' visually. Learn how to create attractively designed, attention-grabbing résumés that capture the reader's interest with the tasteful use of color, formatting and graphics. Discover the secrets of how to incorporate a variety of design elements including lines, separators/dividers, bolding, italicizing, bullets, and more, to achieve a modern look and feel. This session teaches how to use Microsoft Word to incorporate modern design elements that take your documents from basic and ordinary to stunning and enticing. Melanie will teach you how to
- strategically organize information, so you draw the reader in and allow the “good stuff” to shine by making smart formatting choices that accentuate your client's brand and bring your eloquent words to life.
- manipulate margins and line spacing to create white space, constructing a “skimmable” document that is inviting to read while keeping it simple for clients to alter.
- use color tastefully and professionally, without over-saturating the page and strategically place graphics (icons, graphs, text boxes, etc.) without overcrowding the document.
Melanie L. Denny is a Certified Professional Résumé Writer, LinkedIn Strategist and Personal Branding Consultant, Speaker, Author, President of Résumé-Evolution, and a trusted resource for all things job search. Melanie prides herself on producing content-rich résumés that are aesthetically pleasing. Every résumé she creates follows her signature Résumé L.I.V.E!TM System (Look good, Intentional, Value-based and Enticing). She has written thousands of résumés for diverse industries and at all levels. Her clients have seen remarkable job-search success as a result of her ability to not only concisely articulate their value on paper, but her talent to present that value through eye-catching designs - ultimately empowering job seekers to differentiate themselves in today's competitive job market. Melanie has been featured on countless radio shows and invited to speak to national organizations and non-profits across the US on career topics from résumés, LinkedIn, interviewing, personal branding, networking, and career empowerment. She holds an MBA in Entrepreneurship and a Bachelor of Science in Business with a minor in English. Her résumés and cover letters have been featured in Modernize Your Résumé, Get Noticed, Get Hired, Modernize Your Job Search Letters, and Gallery of Best Cover Letters. For more about Melanie, visit resume-evolution.com or melaniedenny.com.
“Building Visions: From Goal Setting to Execution” | Shea Jefferson, MPS, CPCC, CPRW, CEIP; Owner, Career Construction; Founder, You Grow Girl:
We all have career and business goals. Executing them takes proper planning, personal responsibility, and a unrelenting determination to achieve success. Shea will deliver a SMART seven-step process to inspire you to build upon the foundation you have established for your career and/or business, and guide you in developing SMART goals. Shea will guide you in
- identifying your vision and how to muster the courage to set compelling goals to enrich your life as well as your work-life.
- recognizing obstacles to goal achievement that must be neutralized or defeated in a proactive and positive manner.
- incorporating accountability, discipline, resourcefulness, creativity, and time management (deadlines) to achieve your goals.
Shea Jefferson is a career coach and human resources manager. She has worked with public, private, and non-profit organizations for more than 17 years. Her mission is to help others achieve their career and educational goals through effective training and successful self-marketing. Shea founded Career Construction in 2011 from her own personal pain point, and is committed to helping others jump the hurdles she has been faced with. She also founded a women's group, You Grow Girl, in which she encourages women to set goals and motivate each other to achieve them. Shea was selected to the Chamber of Commerce, Leadership Chattanooga; the most competitive leadership program in Chattanooga, TN. She is the Vice President of Chattanooga's Citizens' Police Academy Alumni Association where she volunteers to bridge the gap between the police department and the community. Shea is the author of “Do the Work to Get the Work” an e-guide of tips for job seekers. She has an undergraduate degree in business from Bryan College and a master's degree in human resources from Austin Peay State University. For more about Shea, visit www.mycareerconstruction.com.
“Best Practices to Help Shield Your Résumé Business from Liability” | Wendi M. Weiner, Esq., NCRW, CPRW, CCTC, CCM:
Being business-savvy means also thinking ahead and protecting your résumé business in the online marketplace from potential claims and lawsuits. In this presentation, Wendi Weiner, attorney, executive résumé writer, and ethics advocate for the résumé industry, will
- share strategies to help shield your résumé business from liability in the course of business dealings and client communications in order to strengthen your business model.
- cover best business practices for résumé writers and career coaches about terms of service on websites, trademarks and copyright, client service contracts, liability disclaimers, online reputation management and cyberbullying.
- provide insight into how you can manage your business in compliance with the ethics of the résumé industry as well as state laws and regulations.
Wendi Weiner is an attorney, 4X certified executive Résumé writer, and career industry leader who has been featured and published in more than 50 major media outlets, including CNN, Huffington Post, Thrive Global, Forbes, Entrepreneur, Fortune, Business Insider, and Fast Company. As the owner of The Writing Guru©, her trademarked namesake company, Wendi creates powerful career and personal brands for attorneys, top-tier executives, and business leaders. Wendi also serves as a contributing writer for The Huffington Post and Thrive Global, and as a content writer for Inc. Magazine's Content Strategies division. She has received more than 10 honors and awards for her industry success in résumé writing. Wendi's own career trajectory includes serving as a practicing member of The Florida Bar for over 11 years, working in Big Law for a top national law firm and serving as a corporate trial attorney for a Fortune 200 company. Wendi entered the careers industry to follow her passion for writing and to help others achieve their own career dreams and success. For nearly three (3) years, Wendi served on the Board of Directors for The National Résumé Writers' Association. Her roles included serving as a Director of Industry to mentor new résumé writers and as the President-Elect and Ethics Chair of the organization to raise the public image of the organization and industry. Wendi's strong knowledge of contract policies and her commitment to advancing the ethics of résumé writers has continued to shine in her work and passion for our industry. To learn more about Wendi visit: www.writingguru.net.
|Time||Registration – Sunday, April 28|
|4:00 pm -||Hotel Registration|
|4:00 – 6:00 pm||Sign in for Conference (Pick Up Conference Materials)|
|6:00 – 9:00 pm||On the Beach with a fire pit, heavy hors d'oeurves, drinks and steel drum/guitar duo|
|Time||Day 1 Sessions – Monday April 29|
|7:00 – 7:50 am||Breakfast & Conference Registration|
|7:50 – 8:15 am||Welcome & Introductions|
|8:15 – 9:15 am||Keynote Speaker
“Standing Out from the Crowd”
|9:15 to 9:30 am||Short Break|
|9:30 – 10:25 am||Break-out Session 1
“Mastering the Fundamentals of Résumé Writing Excellence”
|9:30 – 10:25 am||Break-out Session 1
“Use Advanced Interview Techniques to Build Confidence and Win Job Offers”
|10:30 – 11:00 am||Coffee Break|
|11:00 – 11:55 am||Break-out Session 2
“Military to Civilian - Invaluable Strategies for Writing Military Résumés and Managing the Transition”
|11:00 – 11:55 am||Break-out Session 2
“Rev Up Your Clients' Career Campaign: Lessons Learned from Motorcycling Across America”
|12:05 – 1:25 pm||Lunch & Visit with Vendors|
|1:30 – 2:25 pm||Break-out Session 3
“Building Visions: From Setting Goals to Execution”
|1:30 – 2:25 pm||Break-out Session 3
“Decrypting Gen Z/Millennials in the Gig Economy”
|2:30 – 3:25 pm||Break-out Session 4
“How to Get a New Job While Employed”
|2:30 – 3:25 PM||Break-out Session 4
“How to Design Eye-Catching Résumés: Formatting Tips & Tricks for the Modern Résumé”
|3:30 – 4:00 pm||Coffee / Snack Break|
|4:00 – 5:00 pm||Day Ending Main Session Presentation
“A Dose of Vitamin 'J'™ (How to Empower Clients to Overcome Fear, Doubt, and a Lack of Confidence)”
|5:05 – 5:15 pm||Day 1 Closing Remarks|
|Time||Day 2 Sessions – Tuesday April 30|
|7:00 – 8:00 am||Breakfast|
|8:00 – 8:15 am||Welcome Back|
|8:15 – 9:15 am||Opening Day 2 Main Session Presentation
“Career Coaching – Diane's Whole-Person Theory & Career Management”
|9:15 – 9:30 am||Short break|
|9:30 – 10:25 am||Break-out Session 5
“Boost Your Marketing IQ: Increase Your Business $uccess!”
|9:30 – 10:25 am||Break-out Session 5
“Always Exceed Organizational Expectations, Because You Never Know...”
|10:30 – 11:00 am||Coffee Break|
|11:00 – 11:55 am||Break-out Session 6
“Best Practices to Help Shield Your Résumé Business from Liability”
|11:00 – 11:55 am||Break-out Session 6
“Leverage LinkedIn's Shortfalls: Deliver Great Client Profiles & Expand Your Practice”
|12:05 – 1:25 pm||Lunch / Visit with Vendors
Resume Writing Contest Winners - Sherry
|1:30 – 3:30 pm||Main Session
5-Person HR / Recruiting / Hiring Manager Panel
|3:30 – 4:00 pm||Coffee / Snack Break|
|4:00 – 5:15 pm||Mastermind Session / Table Talk / Leader Led|
|5:15 – 5:20 pm||Day 2 Closing Remarks|
|Time||Day 3 Session – Wednesday May 1|
|7:00 – 8:00 am||Breakfast|
|8:00 – 9:00 am||Open Forum – Question & Answers from Industry Experts|
|9:00 – 10:30||Closing Keynote
“How to Move Mountains Using Power Branding”
|10:30 – 10:40||Closing Remarks|
|10:45 – 11:00||Goodbyes / Hotel Checkout|
Sunday evening party plus Monday-Wednesday breakfasts and Monday-Tuesday lunches and snacks Monday-Tuesday AM and PM are all included with your registration. Daily meal tickets may be purchased for your guests.
|PARW/CC Members||Advance:||$650||between July 2, 2018 - February 1, 2019|
|Regular:||$700||from February 2, 2019 - April 1, 2019|
Includes complimentary 1-year membership
|Advance:||$800||between July 2, 2018 - February 1, 2019|
|Regular:||$850||from February 2, 2019 - April 1, 2019|
Conference meal tickets for a guest will be available
About the Hilton Clearwater Beach Resort & Spa
PARW/CC Special Convention Rates are $209 (or $249 for Gulf of Mexico view) which is approximately half price of what the Hilton Clearwater Beach Resort & Spa normally charges. All rooms have balconies and you'll have access to 10 acres of private beachfront that offers the only tiki bar on the sand and private beach cabanas. This resort boasts a new, beautiful Hibiscus Spa along with many other amenities.